Insulation Energy Appraisal Program
About the Program
The Insulation Energy Appraisal Program (IEAP) is a 2-day course that teaches students how to determine the optimal insulation thickness and corresponding energy and dollar savings for a project. The program was designed to teach students the necessary information to give facility/energy managers a better understanding of the true dollar and performance value of their insulated systems. To give facility managers the most accurate information, students will gain skills in the following areas:
- Interview customers to effectively gather information;
- Conduct a facility walkthrough;
- Use the 3E Plus® Version 4.0 software, which is customized and recognized by the Department of Energy;
- Determine greenhouse gas emissions saved through the use of insulation;
- Analyze and complete an appraisal spreadsheet; and
- Present your customer with a final report that outlines the potential savings and emission reductions that mechanical insulation can provide.
Students who pass the certified course exam—will become a Certified Insulation Energy Appraiser. The certification will be valid for 3 years, after which the individual must recertify. All course attendees will receive Professional Development Hours (PDHs).
Course instructors are Chris Crall and Steve Campbell, who bring years of experience in the industry to the course. Click here to learn more.
Pre-Qualification for the Course
The Insulation Energy Appraisal Program is developed for individuals who have good communication skills and:
- Have experience in commercial and/or industrial construction, process, and maintenance industry or related fields.
- Are able to read construction drawings and relate them to insulation specifications.
- Understand principles and fundamentals of insulation and insulation systems. (Up to 10% of the final exam may cover basic heat transfer fundamentals.)
- Are able to recognize potential basic safety concerns during facility visits and insulation system inspections.
- Are able to recognize the different types of insulation products and their basic limitations and proper uses.
- Are mathematically inclined.
- Have basic computer literacy, including experience with Microsoft Excel.
Students will receive the following materials: course manual, 3E Plus® software, Microsoft Excel custom spreadsheet, a final report template, and a course manual.
Materials Required for Class Participation
- Laptop computer with CD ROM drive (no Macs) with:
- Excel software
- Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
- 10 MB of available space
Course Format and Registration Fee
The course typically runs from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. on Day 1 and 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. on Day 2. Click here to view a sample course agenda (pdf).
The cost of attending the course is $1075 for non-members. A discounted rate of $815 is available to NIA members. A discount will be given to cash/check payments. Please see the course registration form for more details.
If you are interested in attending, click here for the next scheduled course. If there is no course scheduled at this time, email firstname.lastname@example.org to be placed on the list of those interested. You will be notified as soon as a course is scheduled.
The certification exam is 50 questions covering information discussed in the IEAP course and materials. The exam is given on the last day of the course, and it takes approximately 4 weeks to be notified by NIA of your exam results. Students must score 70% or higher to pass and become a Certified Insulation Energy Appraiser. Students who do not score at least 70% will be notified by NIA of how they can retake the exam.
NIA can bring the training course to your office. We can customize our presentations and training program specifically for you and your company. Your own presentations combined with ours can result in one of the best resources for your employees. For more information on pricing and in-house training, e-mail email@example.com or call our office at 703-464-6422.
Promoting Certified Insulation Energy Appraisers
Students who pass the certification exam will receive a certificate, lapel pin, and marketing kit. The marketing kit includes sample business cards, press releases, advertisements, and the official copyrighted Certified Insulation Energy Appraiser logo to allow them to announce their certification to end users and clients.
As an added benefit to NIA Members, all NIA member certified appraisers will be listed on NIA's website and promoted through other NIA programs and publications such as NIA News, Insulation Outlook, press releases, and industry presentations.
Insulation Energy Appraisers are certified for 3 years, after which individuals will need to recertify. Click here to view the recertification procedures.